Poll for how many characters

To increase the economy on this server  

33 members have voted

1. 1. To increase the economy on this server

• 4 toons
    • 5 toons
    • 6 toons
    • Keep as is, 8 toons

We need to increase the economy on this server but everyone is self sufficient as they can have up to 8 toons. I would like to see possibly 5 as the highest amount of toons you could have.

yeah, I should have put that but have no idea how to change that now. Aso, can you change to have an 8 character as well?

swg never changed the 2 character rule for a reason the game wasn't build for it lets saywe had a rush of 2000 players x 8 your going to see what happened to bloodfin full planets cant place a house or a harvestor cause the planet is at its max slots no way to change it either it cause big problems last year on bloodfin now they had to do a complete wipe and everyone lost there stuff.

2 character slots you make a char you love and you play it

Just my 2 credits worth... Fewer characters slots, means fewer characters filling each possible roll. Ever been on and not been able to find a doc for buffs, or smuggler to slice your new weapon/armor, or an entertainer to buff your mind, etc. Consider the bad with the good. Depending on the day and time it is already difficult to find all the essential services/products that can only be offered by other players, I don't see the proposed reduction in character slots helping with that. New players to the server can and are deterred by the availability (or lack thereof) of those essential services.

I would say 6 is a decent number. As we get bigger we would run into the problem of, everyone is doing everything themselves.

i kind of agree that it needs to be lessened but not to 2 for the reason Priam brought up. More people will be joining and will see where there is a need and cover it. It gives them something to really do that they like. Since most people already have more than 2 I would rather see 4 or 5 then they could keep that many but still leave an area for new people. I am kind of against 8 for the Bloodfin fiasco. I do not want to see that happen here on this server.

Just my 2 credits worth... Fewer characters slots, means fewer characters filling each possible roll. Ever been on and not been able to find a doc for buffs, or smuggler to slice your new weapon/armor, or an entertainer to buff your mind, etc. Consider the bad with the good. Depending on the day and time it is already difficult to find all the essential services/products that can only be offered by other players, I don't see the proposed reduction in character slots helping with that. New players to the server can and are deterred by the availability (or lack thereof) of those essential services.

I could not agree with this more. Did I want to roll an entertainer? Honestly I did not. I started one out of necessity. There was not one Master musician/Dancer on when I started. I much prefer not to log in my Entertainer for buffs, but when there are none available, Sure I Am going to. Same with Doc.

I guess I don't see the advantage to making people delete toons.

I could not agree with this more. Did I want to roll an entertainer? Honestly I did not. I started one out of necessity. There was not one Master musician/Dancer on when I started. I much prefer not to log in my Entertainer for buffs, but when there are none available, Sure I Am going to. Same with Doc.

I guess I don't see the advantage to making people delete toons.

So the essential problem is as the server grows, everyone could be like Horeb. No incentive to create a functioning community if everyone is their own jack-of-all trades right?

The balance is that some people actually prefer to rely on themselves more than a community. So where would be the middle ground?

I personally prefer freedom of choice. Let some run their own self-contained kingdoms if they want, or to rely on others to set up the shops for things they don't want to have to spend the time to do. I can see the benefit of continuing to have 8 characters each. The more profession types available at any given time would normally drive competition and therefore create a larger availability of products at lower prices. If someone can't find a given product, there is an increased chance somebody could reply to a request in general chat that they have an alt that could help if there aren't enough active players for that product or service in the market at any given time.

I don't see the inevitability that we could all end up self-sustaining ourselves preventing development of a robust economy. Eventually, those who want to build an economic empire will fill those roles. I also believe most of those who are like Horeb and have capable master alts, won't choose to play them when the market is meeting their needs. They'll remain as "back ups" essentially whenever the economy is slacking. As more economic roles are filled naturally, the more those "reserve characters" will become neglected and the economy will grow more robust as more people enjoy doing what they want. Instead of having to feel forced or limited into only a few roles at a time.

The other benefit to having more character slots than fewer is the ability to experiment. Part of what so many of us really love about this game, that SOE took away, is the ability to explore and combine many different character skills and paths. What better way to really have fun with that concept than to be able to have additional alts to do more things with. It's one thing to play with the profession calculator. It's another to actually play out and experiment in action the combinations of ideas we'll want to have.

Also, not everyone is going to use up all 8 slots.

swg never changed the 2 character rule for a reason the game wasn't build for it lets saywe had a rush of 2000 players x 8 your going to see what happened to bloodfin full planets cant place a house or a harvestor cause the planet is at its max slots no way to change it either it cause big problems last year on bloodfin now they had to do a complete wipe and everyone lost there stuff.

2 character slots you make a char you love and you play it

The server load would remain static if 2000 more players had 2 slots or 8 wouldn't it? We can only play 2 alts simultaneously at a time, I believe, to try to prevent that sort of problem you're describing.

Also, with decay or maintenance rates set at an adequate speed, abandoned structures would help keep a run-away number of structures down. I'm not sure how SOE's servers compared to Aso's, but I recall several 10's of thousands of players playing back on my old server with the only real planet slot number problem I remember was constantly competing for player-city shuttle ports. If it became a significant problem here, as you're reporting it did on Bloodfin, perhaps we could modify the code to allow a fewer number of build slots per character instead of limiting the total number of character slots? Or better yet, allow only the first 2 or 4 character slots to be able to have building slots?

Edited by sfbmod

to increase the economy, people need to stop ONLY making weapons for themselves, and get some stuff on the bazaar. It is crazy to see the bazaar have nothing but crap tier weapons on it. Make the best you can, and sell it for the highest you can. The bazaar isnt only for garbage items. There are plenty of weaponsmiths now, plenty of armorsmiths, plenty of combat professions, TONS of crafters. There is no reason that we don't have gear stocked out the wazoo on this server. I personally have four combat toons, a resource sampler, and three house sitters so that we could advance our city. I have had to purchase all of my weapons by custom order. There is an opportunity here for people to go out and farm high end stuff, and create high end weaponry. There is a massive void where high quality things should be, and no one is stepping up to take the limelight. You have an opportunity here to be known as the "best weaponsmith on the server" etc. Seize it. Many of you have mastered your combat professions, wouldn't you like to test your skill and template against other players? Go overt. Start your own content. This is a sandbox, what is the point of being the best you can be, when you don't test yourself.

Fill the void where there is one, you know who you are. Be the best you can be. Having people delete characters is NOT going to solve this problem, the problem is that people aren't jumping in with both feet.

Completely agree with Priam.

Although I really like the fact everything you need is actually player created, I never was into choosing an artisan, medic or entertainer profession. I do relise I need every single one of them to do the activities I like (for gear, buffs, storage etc).

The first problem that creeped on me, after ~8 hours of gameplay, was my fear not finding the professions I needed to enjoy the game (entertainers are there, but where can I find a doc?!). Fortunately, the community is all about helping out, which ment someone just logged his/her doc toon in, just to provide me with some buffs.

Do we want to restrain people in the current state from helping others out? I hope not.

When the population on this server grows, I believe it will no longer be necessary to keep that toon up, since docs are going to be present in every spaceport.

At that point in time, we should have this discussion again.

The other aspecs of a world filled with player houses can be countered by increasing the item limit in houses.

Quadrouple the item limit in houses, and you diminish the amount of houses placed by 4...

So the essential problem is as the server grows, everyone could be like Horeb. No incentive to create a functioning community if everyone is their own jack-of-all trades right?

The balance is that some people actually prefer to rely on themselves more than a community. So where would be the middle ground?

I personally prefer freedom of choice. Let some run their own self-contained kingdoms if they want, or to rely on others to set up the shops for things they don't want to have to spend the time to do. I can see the benefit of continuing to have 8 characters each. The more profession types available at any given time would normally drive competition and therefore create a larger availability of products at lower prices. If someone can't find a given product, there is an increased chance somebody could reply to a request in general chat that they have an alt that could help if there aren't enough active players for that product or service in the market at any given time.

I don't see the inevitability that we could all end up self-sustaining ourselves preventing development of a robust economy. Eventually, those who want to build an economic empire will fill those roles. I also believe most of those who are like Horeb and have capable master alts, won't choose to play them when the market is meeting their needs. They'll remain as "back ups" essentially whenever the economy is slacking. As more economic roles are filled naturally, the more those "reserve characters" will become neglected and the economy will grow more robust as more people enjoy doing what they want. Instead of having to feel forced or limited into only a few roles at a time.

The other benefit to having more character slots than fewer is the ability to experiment. Part of what so many of us really love about this game, that SOE took away, is the ability to explore and combine many different character skills and paths. What better way to really have fun with that concept than to be able to have additional alts to do more things with. It's one thing to play with the profession calculator. It's another to actually play out and experiment in action the combinations of ideas we'll want to have.

Also, not everyone is going to use up all 8 slots.

Actually a good point. I am thinking that I am stopping now and will likely delete one anyway. I only get on Cuini when there is a need for her to make room for working on others and the only reason I have one is another hand harvester.

One account, three slots, two chars online at same time. Therefore I have no choice to rely on another weapon/armorsmithy, doc, ent, or ranger.

And vice-versa. Only makes sense. Why do we see empty bazaars? Because we have become 'self-sufficient'. Shame to allow it to get this way from the start.

One account, three slots, two chars online at same time. Therefore I have no choice to rely on another weapon/armorsmithy, doc, ent, or ranger.

And vice-versa. Only makes sense. Why do we see empty bazaars? Because we have become 'self-sufficient'. Shame to allow it to get this way from the start.

I kind of felt the same way but a lot are upset that certain ones cannot be found. It is a new server so some people are still working on theirs which makes sense to me and we just have to be patient and let them level. I can undestand their frustration though and have tried to help with my Entertainer.

I respect your thoughts and opinions (and everyone else's), but where does it end? We already have 'enhancement terminals', should we add free resource deeds and master professions to the terminals also just to satisify every players' desire to "level up" and become 'Uber First' this or that?

How the hell did you all make it on 'live'? (with the exception of you nerds living in your parents' basement having 5 Sony Station accounts) :P

We must become dependent upon each other or else just epic fail...

No one should be "given" anything. Just because some players have more time than others, doesn't mean there should be anything given out. The server is slowly growing. Every week I see a new player introducing themselves in general chat. This game isn't even that greatly advertised since it is no longer supported. I only stumbled onto this private server because I was curious about something from my old live days. I didn't even know that emu had been created. I wouldn't worry about us being dependent on each other. Eventually things will even out.

I respect your thoughts and opinions (and everyone else's), but where does it end? We already have 'enhancement terminals', should we add free resource deeds and master professions to the terminals also just to satisify every players' desire to "level up" and become 'Uber First' this or that?

How the hell did you all make it on 'live'? (with the exception of you nerds living in your parents' basement having 5 Sony Station accounts) :P

We must become dependent upon each other or else just epic fail...

The entire point of becoming "uber first" is that you made it yourself, and you should be a proud crafter and sell your best, a proud pvp character and fight often, or a proud PVE character who always has crazy loot for sale. It wasn't handed to you, and it never will be. I don't even understand where you are coming from with that. Even if a single someone chose to be the master of 8 of these professions, they still made it all themselves, and deserve the full benefits of mass sales of their product. This has nothing to do with terminals, what are you on about?

The master of their craft will prevail, and the inferiors will die out. This is the natural selection of the open market.

The entire point of becoming "uber first" is that you made it yourself, and you should be a proud crafter and sell your best, a proud pvp character and fight often, or a proud PVE character who always has crazy loot for sale. It wasn't handed to you, and it never will be. I don't even understand where you are coming from with that. Even if a single someone chose to be the master of 8 of these professions, they still made it all themselves, and deserve the full benefits of mass sales of their product. This has nothing to do with terminals, what are you on about?

The master of their craft will prevail, and the inferiors will die out. This is the natural selection of the open market.

I could not agree with you more, believe it or not. Perhaps I failed in getting my point explained and I apologize. There is nothing wrong with becoming Uber First or Master of any craft or profession, but I think it should be done with the help of other players' toons, not with one of your own alts (i.e. buying a house from another player, not from one of your alts...getting a doc buff from another player, not from an enhancement term or from one of your alts). I think you get the idea.

I understand that new players do not make enough to really tip well for Doctors or entertainers but eventually they will and I think that this will eventually even out. Yes we do need more doctors and we do need more completed entertainers for buffs but you know in the beginning we did not have those things anyway and we made do. In Live, we were only allowed 1 toon and IF that one became a jedi, we got a second slot. We were forced to depend on one another and we forged some really neat arrangements and in fact I made some lifelong friends from this. While I think that having 1 toon is to much as there are so many avenues to explore, but 8, in my eyes, is too many. I dunno, I am going to just use a few for now and if I can do without, so be it.

We also had thousands of players online at any given time to rely on.

I didnt notice an option for 2 or 3.

This really shouldn't be a poll because people are going to focus on what they selfishly want, rather than what is best for the server (instant gratification, rather than rewarded for hard work). Therefore viewing it from a strictly selfish perspective, how could I ever say that I want less than 8 characters? 8 characters gives me 80 lots, and the ability to be self sufficient if the players i am looking for are not online. in a game as competative as this, I want every advantage, therefore from a strictly selfish standpoint, I have to want the most amount of characters possible. So from that perspective, a poll would never work.

How this SHOULD happen, is that the owner should come up with a rule for how many different characters the server needs (for example 1500, i use this number as i think this is the amount SOE used as a guide when making the game). Said owner would then divide the number of active accounts by this number, to give him a character limit to work to. so for example, lets say there are 200 active accounts, well 1500/200 = 7.5, therefore players can have 8 characters (rounded up to the nearest whole number). As the server grows in popularity, the owner can then reduce the amount of characters each account is allowed by giving players 1 month notice of an impending character reduction per account. once we have 750 active accounts (which may or may not happen and if it does will be a long way off), then players can all keep 2 characters regardless of how the server grows.

The active accounts would be based on a 1 month weighted average of log in's

Well i like to craft most professions coz i like the whole making things and selling them on.. i love it when i now people are using my stuff gives me a great sense of completion and gratification especially love it, that this game isn't like WoW with the buy something once and you have it pretty much forever. However if the character slots are reduced and you are only limited to one account i would not be able to sit and make the stuff i love or do the things i do. When the game was originally around i had 4 account just for this fact i had 3 crafters, my jedi and my other combat toon/Doc..

I am more than willing to help make a better economy only problem right now is getting the minerals to get the good stuff to sell as i feel it is below me to sell junk and ask for money for it. I personally believe that with all these characters yes there will be greedy people but more than not, i have found that all my years around star wars fans they are very good people and believe in a community based economy on star wars not a greed based one. I would like to believe that once better minerals become available that they will then put more things for sale on the market, as of right now most people who have crafter alts take orders so i don't see anyone being greedy or selfish atm. Everyone is really nice and acts like the community of the original SWG.

Perhaps in time once the server grows in numbers reducing the number of slots but right now i believe that would be worse as we need all the slots to be able to craft and help each other out.

Ruf "the Bounty Hunter" Us.

I will vote for 6 characters. I'd like to see more of a "community" and people "helping" each other instead of just helping themselves which is what I see on this server at the moment. I hope the economy improves where more people are doing for others than themselves.